This Is the Best Time to Buy These 45 Cheap Finds Throughout the Year
When's the best time to buy appliances, TVs, furniture, mattresses, laptops, clothing, and more? Here's a month-by-month guide to smarter spending.
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
Save the most money by planning ahead
Do you ever sit around and wonder what the secret is to becoming wealthy? Well, there are several steps you can take that will put you on the path to wealth, and then there are some things you definitely shouldn’t do, like buying anything that’s on this list of 13 things rich people never waste their money on. Impulse buys top that list. Wealthy people typically don’t buy things on a whim, and, no matter where you find yourself on the financial spectrum, neither should you.
Instead, it’s wise to budget, bide your time, and buy when you can get the best deals. Luckily, that’s not hard to do since retailers tend to slash prices on some of our favorite things at the same time every year. Follow this timetable of the best seasonal sales and you’ll save a bundle while getting exactly what you want.
January: Best time to buy holiday goods, linens, humidifiers, fitness gear
- Holiday goods: Stores slash prices on gift wrap, holiday cards, and Christmas decorations in the weeks following the busy shopping season. Buy now; they’ll keep till next year.
- Bed linens: Retailers offer deep discounts on sheets, towels, and blankets in January. “White sales” actually date back to 1878, when a Philadelphia department store held a “White Sale” on linens to help keep linen makers in business during a slow period. Keep an eye out for deals on this celeb favorite Barefoot Dreams throw blanket.
- Humidifiers: Consumer Reports advises buying a humidifier when they’re on deep discount in January. We’ve already put together a list of the 13 best humidifiers that are worth every penny. Not sure which one is right for you? This Dyson three-in-one Pure Humidify + Cool is a great option because it serves as a humidifier, fan, and air purifier.
- Fitness gear: Fitness trackers, scales, and other equipment go on sale in January to help you stick to those New Year’s resolutions. If you’ve been meaning to pick up a Fitbit, this is the time to do it. Here are another 35 genius products that will help you keep your New Year’s resolutions.
February: Best time to buy space heaters, winter clothes, tax software, snow blowers
- Space heaters: With winter coming to an end, many retailers will offer hefty discounts on space heaters. We suggest keeping an eye out for sales on Dyson’s Pure Hot and Cool Tower, since you’ll be able to use it year-round and it doubles as an air purifier.
- Winter clothes: End-of-season clearance deals coupled with President’s Day sales make this the perfect time to stock up on winter essentials for next season. Then check out this famed “Amazon Coat” that has more than 13,000 positive reviews.
- Tax software: You’ll start seeing the best discounts on tax-filing software, like the popular Turbo Tax, in February. You may not like doing it, but here’s what can happen if you don’t file your taxes.
- Snow blowers: Retail stores will be looking to clear out inventory and hold generous end-of-season sales on snow blowers, like this best-selling Troy-Bilt model.
March: Best time to buy air purifiers, cameras, vacuum cleaners, luggage, digital cameras
- Air purifiers: Mild spring weather makes us want to throw open all the windows. It feels great, but it can also let in a variety of allergens and pollutants. Luckily, retailers typically offer hefty discounts on air purifiers in March. Here’s a list of the 10 best air purifiers worth buying, including this stylish model from RabbitAir.
- Vacuum cleaners: If you’re gearing up for a big spring clean, this is the month to snag a vacuum cleaner at a great price. Do yourself a favor and a look at the Shark Vertex DuoClean. This easy-to-use vacuum features anti-allergen technology and powered lift-away for easy cleaning on stairs and under furniture. If you’re a pet parent, you’ll also want to consider these 15 best vacuums for dog and cat hair.
- Luggage: Retailers tend to discount luggage before travel-heavy spring and summer. Check out these 13 carry-on bags with 5-star reviews on Amazon. We also love this roomy Away carry-on, which comes equipped with a removable battery that can charge your phone up to four times.
- Digital cameras: Consumer Reports advises snapping up a digital camera in March or April, when sales are best. This Fujifilm Instax bundle makes a great gift for yourself or any of your photo-loving friends.
April: Best time to buy grills, carpet cleaners, leaf blowers
- Grills: Spring and summer are just around the corner, so if you’re in the market for a new grill, you’re likely to score some deals before the season officially begins. We really like this small, easy-to-use Weber grill. If you enjoy grilling, you’ll appreciate these 25 surprising grilling facts you haven’t heard 10 times before.
- Carpet cleaners: If you have a house full of pets, kids, or both, you may want to invest in a carpet cleaner. And with spring cleaning in full swing, April is the best month to find a great deal on one. This Bissell carpet cleaner is designed for people with pets, and it promises to get out even the toughest of stains.
- Leaf blowers: Look for deals on leaf blowers to make spring cleanup a cinch. Ryobi’s gas-powered backpack leaf blower makes getting rid of leaves, grass clippings, and other debris quick and painless all season long.
May: Best time to buy blenders, air mattresses, Star Wars merchandise, spring clothing
- Blenders: Thanks to Mother’s Day and Memorial Day, expect to find great deals on blenders. The Vitamix 5200 does it all. Just be aware that there are at least 16 foods you shouldn’t put in the blender.
- Air mattresses: If you’re expecting company, you’ll need somewhere for them to sleep. An air mattress is a quick and comfortable option, and you can snag one at a great price around Memorial Day. This Sound Asleep queen-size air mattress boasts comfort coil technology and has a one-click internal pump for easy inflation. It also has more than 20,000 5-star ratings on Amazon.
- Star Wars merchandise: May the Fourth be with you! May 4 is Star Wars Day, so fans can score amazing deals on the best Star Wars gifts for every Jedi fan, like this six-quart R2-D2 Instant Pot Duo.
- Spring clothing: Memorial Day sales include discounted clothing and home goods at department stores, apparel retailers, and big-box stores.
June: Best time to buy tools, smartwatches, outdoor gear, sunscreen
- Tools: Look for deals on tools in the weeks leading up to Father’s Day. Not sure what to look for? Here are a few tools Dad secretly wants but doesn’t have, according to real handymen. This cordless drill by Dewalt is also a great option.
- Smartwatches: Tech gadgets like smartwatches will be discounted for Father’s Day, so look for something like this Garmin SQ Music Edition GPS Smart Watch.
- Outdoor gear: School’s out for the summer, so retailers typically discount a variety of seasonal products, including outdoor gear.
- Sunscreen: Protecting your skin is a must all year long, but it’s especially important during the summer months when you spend more time outside. Prices tend to dip in June, making it a great time to stock up on your favorites, like Drunk Elephant’s Umbra Sheer Physical Daily Defense.
July: Best time to buy dehumidifiers, picnic supplies, steam irons
- Dehumidifiers: As we get into the throes of summer and its sticky, muggy weather, dehumidifiers tend to drop in price. Since humidity levels over 50 percent can breed dust mites, mildew, and mold, you’ll definitely want to pick up a dehumidifier or upgrade an old one.
- Picnic supplies: Once the Fourth of July has passed, pick up discounted picnic and party supplies. This Picnic at Ascot Yorkshire Picnic Basket for 4 includes everything you need for a fun family picnic!
- Steam irons: Consumer Reports‘ data shows that steam irons tend to drop in price during the month of June. This Rowenta Pro Master Xcel Steam Iron will make ironing a breeze.
August: Best time to buy computers, office supplies, headphones, arts and crafts supplies
- Computers: You’ll find the best deals on laptops and computers during back-to-school sales this month. Microsoft’s Surface Pro 7 is a laptop with the versatility of a tablet, making it the ideal choice for school or work.
- Office supplies: Take advantage of those back-to-school sales and stock up on office supplies like these colorful pens.
- Headphones: Tech devices, like Apple’s AirPods Pro, are popular with students and often discounted during the last month of summer.
- Arts and crafts supplies: If you have young children, this is the perfect time to buy arts-and-crafts supplies to keep them busy at home all year long. For even more savings, check out these shopping secrets teachers use when buying back-to-school supplies.
September: Best time to buy mattresses, air conditioners, patio furniture
- Mattresses: If you’re in the market for a new mattress, you’re likely to find the best price during Labor Day sales. You’ll sleep better knowing how much money you saved on a new bed, like Brooklyn Bedding’s luxurious Sedona Hybrid. Arm yourself with these tips on how to find the right mattress for you.
- Air conditioners: As we round the corner into fall, expect to find discounts on summer products like this LG smart window air conditioner. Before you shop, read up on these 11 ways you’re shortening the life of your air conditioner to ensure you don’t make the same mistakes.
- Patio furniture: Retailers will be looking to clear out old models they still have in stock. This Better Homes & Gardens Ravenbrooke set is perfect for sitting outside and cracking open a good book.
October: Best time to buy cookware, smoke detectors, thermostats
- Cookware: Industry experts say that they see the best deals in October when people are looking to upgrade their kitchens prior to holidays and entertaining. We recommend this shallow wok by Heritage Steel, which is incredibly versatile and just might change cooking as you know it.
- Smoke detectors: Not replacing your old smoke detectors is one of the 10 little things that could be making your home a fire hazard. Luckily, they tend to go on sale this month. These First Alert hardwired smoke detectors are good for 10 years and can be purchased in packs of one, three, six, or 12.
- Thermostats: If it’s time to upgrade your thermostat, you can snag one at a discount during Columbus Day sales. A smart thermostat like the Google Nest can help you save money and conserve energy in the upcoming winter months.
November: Best time to buy TVs, bakeware, coffee makers, small appliances, streaming devices
- TVs: Black Friday and Cyber Monday (which might last the entire week) are prime opportunities to score very inexpensive TVs.
- Bakeware: November is the best month to upgrade your bakeware in preparation for holiday baking. Nordic Ware’s jumbo cookie sheet will help you make enough for a crowd.
- Coffee makers: With the holiday season going into full swing, you’ll find amazing deals on all sorts of gifts, including coffee makers. Ninja’s Specialty Coffee Maker is the perfect gift for yourself or any of your coffee-loving family and friends, since it makes everything from a single cup of regular or specialty coffee (hello, morning cappuccinos) to an entire carafe for entertaining.
- Small appliances: Again, thanks to Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals you can pick up small appliances for a fraction of their regular price. This retro-style Smeg toaster is available in more than 10 colors and makes the perfect addition to any kitchen.
- Streaming devices: Is it time to upgrade your Firestick or Roku? Score big discounts on streaming media devices during Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales.
December: Best time to buy air fryers, multi-cookers, home security cameras, mops
- Air fryers: Many Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals extend into December, and you’ll be able to scoop up a host of discounted small appliances. Ninja’s Foodi 6-in-1 2-basket air fryer will take your cooking game to the next level since you can make just about anything in it. Well, almost anything. Here are 5 things you should never cook in an air fryer.
- Multi-cookers: Snag great deals on gifts that every cook should have in their kitchen. This Crock-Pot multi-cooker will make cooking a cinch because who doesn’t love to set it and forget it?
- Home security cameras: Big retailers tend to run great promotions on home security cameras just in time for you to keep an eye on all of those packages that get delivered around the holidays. The motion-activated, Echo-compatible Ring Floodlight Cam will pick up anyone who comes onto your property.
- Mops: Find great deals on electric and steam mops this month. If you like the idea of not spending an entire day cleaning your floors, then consider one of these 15 best vacuum mop combos with near-perfect reviews from Amazon, especially Bissell’s Crosswave Cordless Max.
Want more deals and product picks sent directly to your inbox? Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter!