12 Best Shoe Storage Options to Maximize Your Space
Put your best foot forward with these smart shoe storage ideas and solutions for every sized closet.
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
RD.COM, VIA MERCHANT (3)
Shoes…Sometimes you love them, other times you hate them—especially when you’re running out of space to put them in your house and they end up scattered all over the place!
If you’re always looking for small closet ideas because yours is constantly overflowing with shoes, it might be a sign to invest in some other forms of shoe storage. That could mean buying something from a store or DIYing something yourself.
Either way, having more shoe storage will be a life-changer. Your closet will look cleaner, and these shoe storage ideas help maximize the space you do have—all while preserving the life of your shoes, too. Whether you’re a fashionista wanting to find a stylish way to display your shoes for everyone to see or looking discreetly hide them away, we’ve got just what you need.
Learning how to organize a closet is a chore, but we’ve made the job easier by finding plenty of shoe storage solutions. We even found the best closet organizers and best closet systems to accommodate the most impressive shoe collections. From front entryway shoe keepers and stackable shelves to walk-in closet organization ideas, there’s something for every type of space and budget.
Best over-the-door shoe storage
Whitmore 36-Pair Shoe Rack
If you lack closet space for all your shoes, this Whitmore 36-pair shoe rack is a great solution because it lets you store your shoes along the backside of your door. It keeps them neatly hidden within your closet without taking space away from your clothes. Holding up to 36 pairs of shoes at a time also makes closet space look ultra-organized with plenty of floor space.
- Conveniently hangs over a door
- Holds up to 36 pairs of shoes
- Multiple sizes and configurations available
- 23,000 Amazon ratings and a 3.8-star average
- Not the most stylish shoe storage on the list
Best affordable shoe shelves
Simple Houseware Shoe Organizer
You don’t have to spend big on the best shoe storage ideas, because this Simple Houseware shoe organizer rings in at under $20. It’s an ideal addition to closet floors and front entryways that are prone to clutter. It easily stores your favorite supportive sandals, clunkier walking shoes for men and children’s winter boots all in one very-tidy setup.
- Affordable $20 price
- Holds 12-20 pairs of shoes
- Easy shoe visibility
- Can hold all types of shoes, including boots
- Available in two colors
- Reviewers note it’s sturdier than expected for the price
- 25,000 Amazon ratings and a 4.7-star average
- Some reviewers found it difficult to assemble
Best shoe storage bench
ClosetMaid Storage Bench
Tell cluttered hallways to take a seat! This beautiful ClosetMaid storage bench was designed with clever shoe stowing in mind. It makes sitting to put shoes on (or take them off) easier than ever. It’s also fun to assign cubes to specific family members. Choose from seven colors and cushion finishes and then watch the compliments roll in when you have guests over.
- Doubles as a piece of furniture
- Makes putting on and taking off shoes easy
- Three cubbies can store more than just shoes
- Available in seven varieties
- 3,000 Amazon ratings and a 4.5-star average
- One of the pricier options on the list
Best under-bed shoe storage
Linen Shoe Boxes
These affordable linen shoe boxes come complete with enough separators to accommodate 24 pairs of shoes. Load them up with sneakers, mules and loafers and then neatly slide them under your bed. They come in four neutral colors and have gained over 7,000 Amazon ratings with a nearly-perfect 4.4-star average.
- Conveniently slides under a bed
- Stores up to 24 pairs of shoes
- Available in four colors and three storage sizes
- 7,000 Amazon ratings and a 4.4-star average
- Not the sturdiest shoe storage boxes
Best dresser-style shoe cabinet
Loon Peak 22-Pair Shoe Cabinet
Elevate your bedroom or entryway with this Loon Peak 22-pair shoe cabinet that looks and feels more like a high-end dresser than shoe storage. It comes in a modern walnut and white shade and offers three tipped-style drawers and four shelves. Don’t be fooled by the luxury design though—it’s surprisingly budget-friendly.
- Chic dresser style
- Multifunctional entryway furniture
- Stores up to 22 pairs of shoes
- Can hold more than just shoes
- Pricier than other options on the list
Best swiveling shoe rack
Revolving Shoe Organizer
Are you looking for a beautiful way to display your shoes? Consider this stylish revolving shoe carousel! The rounded shape boasts places for shoes from every angle. This one has four tiers, can fit 16 pairs of shoes and will look like a decorative piece in whatever room or walk-in closet you put it in. Shoes will be orderly and look like they’re on display in a high-end store.
- Unique rotating design
- Fits 16 pairs of shoes
- Adds to decor rather than subtracting from it
- Comes in two colors
Best leaning shoe rack
Four-Tier Shoe Ladder
Just lean this nifty ladder-style tired shoe rack up against a wall and then fill it up all the way to the top. It offers a modern touch and looks sophisticated in most settings. Narrow tiers also make perfects heel-hanging spots for pumps.
- On-trend ladder design
- Four shelves fit plenty of pairs
- Can be used for more than just shoes
- Three color options
- 2,000 Amazon ratings and a 4.7-star average
- Requires wall space
Best colorful shoe stand
Z-shape Shoe Rack
When it comes to kid’s closet ideas, adding a shoe stand to your child’s room is a good way to help with shoe storage issues. A cute one like this Z-shaped shoe stand that’s painted in cheerful soft hues is the perfect fit for a kid’s room. It has a zigzag shape that keeps shoes from being scattered all over the floor. Hide it away in a closet or proudly display its youthful design in a hallway or bedroom.
- Available in a bright, cheery color
- Perfect for a child’s bedroom
- Fun zigzag shape
- Currently only available in a pink shade
Best wall-mounted shoe rack
Wayfair Basics Pegboard Shoe Storage DIY
This semi-DIY project requires little more than mounting the Wayfair Basics pegboard and then hanging all your favorite shoes. It’s one of the best shoe storage ideas to organize several pairs at once, and hangs nicely on garage and mud room walls without much fuss.
- Wall-mounted pegboard means customizable shoe storage
- Multifunctional design
- Available in nine colors
- Not the most stylish pick
Best mirrored shoe cabinet
Organziedlife Wood Shoe Cabinet
Standing at six feet tall, this mirrored shoe cabinet is a dream for shoe lovers. It includes five drawer racks that open and then close tightly to form a full-length mirror. Plus the modern, elegant exterior looks elegant on display anywhere in your home. Nobody will ever know all of your shoes are inside it!
- Pulls double duty and shoe rack and mirror
- Contains five drawer racks
- Closes to hide shoes
- Weighs a heavy 83 lbs.
Best shoe cubbies
ClosetMaid Stackable Shoe Racks
A bookshelf-style system of ClosetMaid shoe cubbies provides plenty of space for shoes. Push it flush against the wall or display it as a walk-in closet centerpiece. Choose from white or a dark espresso finish, and then fill it with loafers, your best slippers and flip-flops.
- Easy-to-use cubby design
- Fits up to 25 pairs of shoes
- Can also be used to store other items
- Two color choices available
- The shelves are on the small side, so each shoe may need its own cubby
Best clear shoe storage
Drop-Front Stackable Shoe Boxes
If you want to organize your shoes in your closet, try investing in clear individual shoe boxes. These affordable shoe storage ideas are clear on all sides to make it simple to see what is inside and offer an elegant, modern look. Stash them on an upper shelf of the closet or along the floor of a small portable closet that contains your capsule wardrobe.
- Clear design lets you easily see all your shoes
- Convenient, customizable stackability
- Comes with 12 storage boxes
- Available in large or medium sizes
- 5,000 Amazon ratings and a 4.2-star average
- Heavier items placed inside the boxes run the risk of tipping the stack
Stop hunting for the best products and deals—get our expert scoop on secret sales and discounts, gift ideas for everyone and can’t-miss products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.