26 Word Search Puzzles You Can Print for Free
Download these printable word search puzzles for hours of word hunting fun. It's the perfect exercise for your brain.
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
Printable word search puzzles
Break out your pens or pencils and get your eyes ready. These free printable word search puzzles are the perfect solo brain game activity for both kids and adults on a rainy day. If you’re good at logic puzzles and sudoku puzzles, these will be a breeze. All the words are hidden vertically, horizontally, or diagonally in both directions. The letters that are left unused in each puzzle form a sentence, reading from left to right. Happy word hunting! When you’re looking for your next challenge, try these printable crossword puzzles and printable brain teasers to test your smarts.
How do you do a word search?
Doing a word search is actually pretty simple, which makes it a great activity for people of all ages:
- Step 1: Look at the words you’re tasked with finding in the word list and pick one to find
- Step 2: Search through the jumbled letters to find the word; it can be found vertically, horizontally, or diagonally—in both directions (left to right and right to left)
- Step 3: Once you find the word, circle it
- Step 4: Cross the word off your list and move on to the next one
How do I find words in a word search?
If you can’t seem to find a word while doing a word search, try these tips:
- Look for unique letters—Letters like Q, Z, and J are some of the least common letters in the alphabet. If your word has one of these letters in it, scan the puzzle for it and then look up, down, left, right, and diagonal to see if your word’s there.
- Scan the rows—Pick a word, see which letter it starts with, and find that first letter to get a good start. Who knows, by scanning the rows you may even find the word horizontally.
- Look for letter pairings—If your word has two unique letters back-to-back, try looking for those letters next to one another. For example, the word “aunt” has “a” and “u” next to one another. Scan the word search and see where you can find “a” and “u” next to one another—it could be your word!
Can you do word searches online?
Yes, you can do word searches online. Several websites like thewordsearch.com and free-word-search.com have word searches. If you prefer classic word search on paper, however, check out the word searches below.
House-themed word search
Flirty word search
How many of these flirty words can you find in the word search puzzle? After this challenge, check out some word puzzles that’ll leave you stumped.
Bible word search
See if you can find the names of some of the teachers from the bible.
United States word search
Here’s another printable word search that’s fun for all ages.
Frankenstein word search
Laboratory, lifeless, lonesome. Can you find them? Then, try to solve these tough rebus puzzles.
Nursing-themed word search
All nurses are heroes. Hunt down these nursing-related words in this word find puzzle.
Machines word search
Try to find all 22 instances of the word. By the way—how many triangles do you see in this puzzle?
Picasso-themed word search
Still life, studio, surrealism. Try to find all of these words related to the famous artist.
Kitchen utensils word search
You might be able to locate all of these items in your kitchen, but can you find them in this free printable word search? Then, try to solve as many of these math riddles as you can.
Magic-themed word search
The words on this puzzle aren’t just going to magically appear, you need to find them. While you’re looking, have your kids try to solve these riddles.
Walt Disney word search
If you’re a big fan of Mickey, this one might come easy to you. After you wrap these up, see how many squares you can find in this image.
Ball sports word search
Even if you’re not into sports you should be able to find these words. Don’t miss these optical illusion photos—they’re tricky and give your brain a workout!
Carnivorans word search
How many of these carnivorous animals can you find in this free printable word search? Once you find them, see how many of these short riddles you can solve.
Zoo-themed word search
There are 33 words in this word search, so it might get a little crowded. Be sure to use a sharp pencil. Then, check out these holiday word searches you can print for free.
If you enjoyed these printable word search puzzles and want more puzzles to challenge your brain, purchase Mind Stretchers. Test your smarts with sudoku, crosswords, word searches, logic puzzles, and more. Now, try these brain games that are guaranteed to boost brainpower.