105 Harry Potter Trivia Questions That Put Potterheads to the Test
See how well you know the boy who lived with Harry Potter trivia questions that span all seven books—and all eight movies!—in the beloved series
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
Harry Potter trivia that’ll stump Muggles
Few works of fiction have had as lasting an influence as the wizarding world of Harry Potter. Over seven books and eight movies, it cemented itself as one of the most beloved series of all time. Needless to say, we’re a little obsessed. We’ve reread the books. We’ve ranked all the Harry Potter movies, from the very best films to, well, those we still really love. And now we’re spinning that rich material into Harry Potter trivia that’ll puzzle everyone from casual readers to super fans.
See, big-time fans have watched the movies a gazillion times and turned the book series into their comfort read. They not only know the difference between a Cleansweep Five and a Nimbus 2000, they also remember Dumbledore’s favorite flavor of Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans and could tell Fred and George Weasley apart from 10 feet away.
But we bet even the most knowledgeable fans will be challenged by our comprehensive list of more than 100 Harry Potter trivia questions, including details from both the books and the movies. That’s right: You may consider the children’s books some of the best books ever written, but are you ready for some serious movie trivia too? It’s time to brush up on your Harry Potter quotes, dust off your pointed hat and shake up your Pensieve to ponder these trivia questions. Accio answers!
Get Reader’s Digest’s Read Up newsletter for more trivia, humor, cleaning, travel, tech and fun facts all week long.
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
1. Question: Where does Rubeus Hagrid first tell Harry that he’s a wizard?
Answer: In a hut on a rock
2. Question: What does Harry do to impress Professor McGonagall enough that she gets him on the Gryffindor Quidditch team?
Answer: Catches Neville Longbottom’s Remembrall
3. Question: Which puzzle guarding the Sorcerer’s Stone does Hermione Granger solve?
Answer: Professor Snape’s logic puzzle with potion bottles
4. Question: Which mischievous character from the books did not feature in the movies?
Answer: Peeves the Poltergeist
5. Question: The Hogwarts motto is “Draco dormiens nunquan titillandus.” What does it mean?
Answer: “Never tickle a sleeping dragon.”
6. Question: Who played Professor Dumbledore in the first movie?
Answer: Richard Harris
7. Question: What is the title of this book and movie everywhere except in the United States?
Answer: Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
8. Question: Who discovered the 12 uses for dragon blood?
Answer: Professor Dumbledore
9. Question: In what year was the book Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone released in the United States?
10. Question: How many presents did Dudley Dursley receive on his birthday in total?
Answer: 38. It was 36 (one less than last year), but then Mrs. Dursley bought him two new presents to make up for it.
11. Question: What was the Fat Lady’s password to get into the Gryffindor common room?
Answer: Caput Draconis
12. Question: What is the first line of the book?
Answer: “Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.”
13. Question: Where does Harry Potter first see Draco Malfoy?
Answer: In Madame Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions
14. Question: What do Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia give Harry for Christmas?
Answer: A 50-pence piece
15. Question: This real-life library served as the restricted section of the Hogwarts library in the film version. Which is it?
Answer: The Bodleian Library at Oxford University
If this Harry Potter trivia is too tough, take a second to laugh it off with these Harry Potter jokes.
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
16. Question: In the movie, Professor McGonagall explains the origins of the Chamber of Secrets. Who does it in the book?
Answer: Professor Binns, the history teacher (who is also a ghost)
17. Question: Why does Neville Longbottom faint in Herbology class?
Answer: His earmuffs were loose, so he heard the cry of the baby mandrake.
18. Question: On what date do the Weasleys rescue Harry from number four, Privet Drive?
Answer: July 31—his birthday, of course!
19. Question: Who removes all the bones from Harry’s arm?
Answer: Gilderoy Lockhart
20. Question:When Harry, Ron and Hermione make Polyjuice Potion, who steals the ingredients from Professor Snape’s office?
21. Question: When Hermione Granger is found Petrified, she is not alone. Who is with her?
Answer: Penelope Clearwater
22. Question: What office does Arthur Weasley work for in the Ministry of Magic?
Answer: The Misuse of Muggle Artefacts Office
23. Question: How many Muggles see the flying Ford Anglia as Harry and Ron make their way to school?
24. Question: What is Gilderoy Lockhart’s favorite color?
25. Question: What is the cure for being Petrified?
Answer: Mandrake root
26. Question: Who was headmaster or headmistress at Hogwarts when Tom Riddle was a student?
Answer: Armando Dippet
27. Question: What is Gilderoy Lockhart’s autobiography called?
Answer: Magical Me
28. Question: Where did Harry begin hearing the voice that no one else could hear?
Answer: In Professor Lockhart’s office
If you like riddles as much as Harry Potter trivia, give these brain teasers a try.
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
29. Question: Who is Stan Shunpike?
Answer: The conductor of the Knight Bus
30. Question: Who plays Professor Dumbledore in this and the subsequent Harry Potter movies?
Answer: Michael Gambon
31. Question: How many classes did Hermione Granger take this year?
32. Question: During the Quidditch game between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff, who is the Hufflepuff seeker?
Answer: Cedric Diggory (unnamed in the movie, but not in the book)
33. Question: In the book, who becomes the temporary guard to the Gryffindor common room after the Fat Lady’s painting is damaged?
Answer: Sir Cadogan
34. Question: Who did Harry overhear in the Three Broomsticks talking about how Sirius Black betrayed his parents?
Answer: Professor Flitwick, Professor McGonagall, Hagrid, Cornelius Fudge and Madam Rosmerta
35. Question: Why do Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger stop speaking?
Answer: Ron blames Hermione’s cat, Crookshanks, for the disappearance of his pet rat, Scabbers.
36. Question: What does Uncle Vernon’s sister, Marge Dursley, do for a living?
Answer: Breeds bulldogs
37. Question: In the movie, what sound does Ron make after eating a magical candy?
Answer: A lion’s roar
38. Question: What is Parvati Patil’s Boggart in the book and the movie?
Answer: In the book, a mummy; in the movie, a giant cobra
39. Question: And how does Parvati defeat it?
Answer: In the book, the mummy trips on its wrappings. In the movie, it turns into a giant jack-in-the-box (arguably no less scary).
40. Question: At the beginning of the story, where does Hedwig find Harry?
Answer: She is waiting in his room at the Leaky Cauldron. Clever owl!
41. Question: When Neville Longbottom dresses his Boggart (Professor Snape) up in his grandmother’s clothes, what stuffed bird is on top of the hat?
Answer: A vulture
42. Question: When Professor Snape takes over Professor Lupin’s Defense Against the Dark Arts class, which page does he ask the students to turn to?
Answer: Page 394 (the page on werewolves)
43. Question: What two creatures are Hippogriffs a mix of?
Answer: Horses and eagles
44. Question: How much gold do the Weasleys win in the Daily Prophet Grand Prize Galleon Draw?
Answer: 700 galleons
45. Question: And where do the Weasleys go on holiday with their winnings?
Did you know about the brilliant hidden meaning of Snape’s first words to Harry?
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
46. Question: What is Fleur Delacour’s little sister’s name?
47. Question: Who can turn into a beetle at will?
Answer: Rita Skeeter
48. Question: What two countries are competing in the Quidditch World Cup Final?
Answer: Ireland and Bulgaria
49. Question: What beloved Hogwarts activity is canceled in the fourth year due to the Triwizard Tournament?
50. Question: Who grows a beard after trying to cheat their way into the Triwizard Tournament?
Answer: Fred and George Weasley (who else?)
51. Question: Which important characters feature in the book but not the movie?
Answer: The Dursleys
52. Question: Members of which two famous U.K. bands played the band Weird Sisters at the Yule Ball?
Answer: Pulp and Radiohead
53. Question: How does Cedric Diggory defeat his dragon in the first task of the Triwizard Tournament?
Answer: He transfigures a rock into a dog to distract it.
54. Question: What is Mad-Eye Moody’s catchphrase?
Answer: “CONSTANT VIGILANCE!”
55. Question: Which challenge in the Triwizard Tournament maze was left out of the movies?
Answer: The Sphinx’s riddle
56. Question: In the book, the Weasleys come to pick up Harry for the Quidditch World Cup. Which of Fred and George’s candies does Dudley eat?
Answer: Ton-Tongue Toffee
57. Question: What does Mad-Eye Moody turn Draco Malfoy into?
Answer: A ferret
58. Question: What Quidditch team did Lugo Bagman play for?
Answer: Wimbourne Wasps
59. Question: And what position did Lugo play?
60. Question: What is Ron Weasley’s role in S.P.E.W.?
If you’re finding these easy, test your knowledge of Disney trivia.
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
61. Question: Which exciting moment in the book is cut out of the movie?
Answer: Gryffindor winning the Quidditch Cup
62. Question: What is the crime Harry commits that causes the Ministry of Magic to hold a disciplinary hearing for him?
Answer: He uses the Patronus Charm in front of a Muggle (Dudley, and only because there were Dementors!).
63. Question: Which two students came up with the name “Dumbledore’s Army?”
Answer: Cho Chang and Ginny Weasley
64. Question: Which of Harry’s acquaintances reveals that he doesn’t believe Harry’s story about Voldemort being back?
Answer: Seamus Finnigan (who eventually comes around)
65. Question: What is Draco Malfoy’s mother’s name?
66. Question: What animal is Dolores Umbridge obsessed with?
Answer: Cats (specifically, kittens)
67. Question: In the book, what sport has Dudley recently taken up?
68. Question: What is Hagrid’s half-brother’s name?
69. Question: How does Dumbledore escape from his office when the Ministry of Magic comes to take him to Azkaban?
Answer: He grabs Fawkes’s tail, and they disappear in a flash of fire.
70. Question: Where do Harry Potter and Cho Chang have their first kiss?
Answer: In the Room of Requirement
71. Question: What is the address of the Headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix?
Answer: 12 Grimmauld Place, London
72. Question: What did Sirius Black’s mother do to his name on the Black family tapestry?
Answer: Burned it away
73. Question: What do Harry, Ron and Hermione find in the locked cabinet of a writing desk at the Order of the Phoenix Headquarters?
Answer: A Boggart
74. Question: Hermione places a jinx on the piece of parchment members of Dumbledore’s Army sign. What happens to those who betray the group?
Answer: Pustules will form the word sneak across their foreheads.
75. Question: In the book, which old friend do Harry, Ron and Hermione run into at St. Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries?
Answer: Gilderoy Lockhart
You’ve come this far, but do you know these hidden messages in Harry Potter?
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
76. Question: Who concocts a love potion meant for Harry that Ron ends up taking by mistake?
Answer: Romilda Vane
77. Question: And who is Ron’s actual love interest this year?
Answer: Lavender Brown
78. Question: Which of Voldemort’s Horcruxes do Harry and Dumbledore track down—but it turns out to be a fake?
Answer: Slytherin’s locket
79. Question: What is the name of Fred and George Weasley’s shop?
Answer: Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes
80. Question: Who teaches Potions class this year?
Answer: Professor Horace Slughorn
81. Question: What are the gemstones in the cursed necklace Draco Malfoy buys from Borgin and Burkes?
82. Question: What spell did Snape invent that Harry later uses on Draco Malfoy?
83. Question: What does Hermione smell in the amortenia (or love) potion?
Answer: Grass, parchment, spearmint toothpaste and Ron Weasley’s hair
84. Question: True or false: This is the longest movie in the franchise.
Answer: False! Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is the longest movie, at 161 minutes.
85. Question: Lily Potter once gave Professor Slughorn a bowl with a lily that turned into a goldfish. What was the goldfish’s name?
86. Question: How many Horcruxes have been destroyed at the end of this story?
Answer: Two: the diary and the ring
87. Question: Who is the Half-Blood Prince?
Answer: Severus Snape
88. Question: What do all the hands on the Weasleys’s magical clock point to when Harry gets to the Burrow?
Answer: “Mortal peril”
89. Question: Who is in the first memory Professor Dumbledore shows Harry in the Pensieve?
Answer: Bob Ogden, an employee of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement
90. Question: What are the three D’s of a successful Apparition?
Answer: Destination, determination and deliberation
No more dating Muggles! Ensure your partner is a Potterhead with these Harry Potter pickup lines.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
91. Question: Who loses an ear at the start of the book?
Answer: George Weasley
92. Question: Which four characters hold the position of Minister of Magic throughout the books?
Answer: Cornelius Fudge, Rufus Scrimgeour, Pius Thicknesse and Kingsley Shacklebolt
93. Question: In the epilogue to the book, who says, “Don’t let it worry you. It’s me, I’m extremely famous.”
Answer: Ron Weasley
94. Question: In the movie, who hugs Draco Malfoy?
Answer: Voldemort (and it’s super awkward)
95. Question: True or false: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part Two is the shortest Harry Potter movie.
Answer: True! The run time is just 130 minutes.
96. Question: Which character do we see ride a broom for the first time in this movie?
Answer: Hermione Granger
97. Question: On what date did the Battle of Hogwarts end with Voldemort’s death?
Answer: May 2, 1998
98. Question: What is the name of Fleur Delacour and Bill Weasley’s house?
Answer: Shell Cottage
99. Question: What fake illness does Ron Weasley say he has to cover up his absence from Hogwarts?
100. Question: What does Harry steal from Dolores Umbridge’s office in the Ministry of Magic?
Answer: Mad-Eye Moody’s magical eyeball
101. Question: What is Luna Lovegood’s father’s name?
Answer: Xenophilius Lovegood
102. Question: Who was in love with Helena Ravenclaw?
Answer: The Bloody Baron
103. Question: In the book, where do Hermione Granger’s parents move to?
104. Question: What is Professor Snape’s Patronus?
Answer: A doe (the same as Lily Potter’s—sob)
105. Question: What is the last line of the last book?
Answer: “All was well.”
Harry Potter gifts for die-hard fans
Phew! How did you do? Talk about hard Harry Potter trivia! If you couldn’t quite remember the answers to some of those questions, you now have an excuse to read the books and watch the movies all over again. But if you need a break from the wizarding world, these classic family movies are definitely worth a watch too.
Either way, whether your Harry Potter trivia score was “O” for Outstanding or “T” for Troll, you definitely deserve some awesome Harry Potter merch. And boy do we have some fun stuff for you.
- Harry Potter candy: It’s hard to read the descriptions of food in the books without feeling a little hungry. Now you can make like a Weasley and chow down on Chocolate Frogs, Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour Beans and Jelly Slugs at snack time. You, a Muggle? Never.
- Lego Hogwarts Castle: Yes, it’s pricey. And yes, it’s not big enough for you to actually attend classes, but what could be cooler than your very own Hogwarts? This 6,020-piece set comes complete with a dragon, the Whomping Willow, the four house founders, moving staircases, a basilisk and Hagrid’s hut.
- Hogwarts Alumni T-shirt: That classic collegiate font combined with the Hogwarts crest is the perfect nostalgic piece for a wannabe Hogwarts alum. Ah, the good old boarding school days.
- Time Turner necklace: We all need a little more time up our sleeve, and now you can have some around your neck with this film-replica Time Turner necklace.
- The Official Harry Potter Baking Book: Make like a house elf and whip up a feast with the help of this magically delicious book of recipes. You need it for the Owl Muffins recipe alone.
- Hogwarts House watch: Whether you’re a Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw, you can show your house pride while checking the time. It’s perfect for those days when you’re late for Potions class.
- Hermione quote T-shirt: “It’s leviOsa, not leviosA!” Show the Ron Weasleys in your life how it’s done with this iconic line printed on a tee.