50 Ways to Say “Happy Hanukkah” to Loved Ones This Year
Send one (or more!) of these personalized "Happy Hanukkah" greetings to your loved ones this season
Wishing you a happy Hanukkah
Hanukkah, also known as the Festival of Lights, is one of the most important—and joyous—holidays in the Jewish religion. The eight-day celebration dates back thousands of years. Today, folks from all over the world celebrate by spinning the dreidel, lighting the menorah and feasting on fried foods like potato latkes and sufganiyot (jelly donuts). If you’d like to wish someone a happy Hanukkah but are unsure what to say, you can keep it simple with a basic “Happy Hanukkah,” which is the standard greeting.
While stores sell a slew of cards with Christmas greetings during the holiday season, they’re often light on Hanukkah cards. That’s because cards aren’t typically sent to and from those who celebrate the Festival of Lights. That said, wishing someone a happy Hanukkah is perfectly acceptable, and the sentiment will surely be appreciated.
It’s also possible that you may want to craft a more personal message to family and friends who celebrate. To help spark some inspiration, we’ve compiled a list of the best Hanukkah greetings so you can send a thoughtful, personalized message to all your loved ones who celebrate. And for more information on this joyous occasion—including what Hanukkah is and when Hanukkah starts, as well as Hanukkah traditions, Hanukkah gifts and Hanukkah colors—we’ve got you covered.
Get Reader’s Digest’s Read Up newsletter for more holidays, humor, cleaning, travel, tech and fun facts all week long.
1. Hanukkah sameach! (Happy Hanukkah!)
2. Chag urim sameach! (Happy Festival of Lights!)
3. Chag sameach! (Happy holiday!)
4. Have a very happy Hanukkah.
5. Here’s to a happy Hanukkah for all.
6. Moadim l’simcha! (May your times be happy!)
7. Gut yontif! (Good holiday!)
8. Hope your Hanukkah is filled with love, laughter and latkes.
9. Sending you extra love and light this Hanukkah.
10. Warmest wishes for a happy Hanukkah.
For an extra-special touch, pair your note with a sentimental Hanukkah craft that will make your loved one smile.
Happy Hanukkah wishes
11. Wishing you joy at Hanukkah.
12. May you have a warm and happy Hanukkah.
13. Wishing you a Festival of Lights filled with peace and prosperity.
14. Hoping Hanukkah is as full of love, vibrancy and light as you are.
15. Wishing you and your loved ones a very happy and joyous Hanukkah.
16. As you light the menorah candles, may you be reminded of the beautiful fact that miracles do exist.
17. Wishing you peace, love and light throughout this glorious Festival of Lights.
18. Hope your Hanukkah’s great times eight!
19. Hope your Hanukkah is a sweet one!
20. Here’s to a bright and meaningful Hanukkah ahead.
When wishing someone a happy Hanukkah, you may also want to include thank-you messages and love messages (depending on who will be receiving the card), since this is such a celebratory holiday. And keep in mind that many of these “Happy Hanukkah” wishes can be used for multi-faith families that celebrate Chrismukkah as well.
21. May your home and heart be filled with extra love each night you light the menorah.
22. May your Hanukkah be filled with beautiful, everlasting memories—and lots of latkes!
23. Hoping you and your family have a Hanukkah filled with lots of happy, sweet memories to last a lifetime.
24. May the holiday light up your family’s lives with love.
25. May the Festival of Lights be filled with blessings, miracles and prosperity for you and your loved ones
26. Hoping this Hanukkah brings you peace, comfort and joy.
27. As you light the menorah, may you experience the same brightness you bring to me every day.
28. May Hanukkah bring your family together.
29. May you know and experience the true magic of miracles that come with the holiday.
30. Wishing and hoping you’ll have a joyful holiday ahead.
Write one of these Hanukkah blessings inside a homemade greeting card that your loved one can display for all to see.
Funny Hanukkah messages
31. It’s time to get lit this holiday!
32. Peace, love and latkes
33. We’re chai on life this Hanukkah!
34. You can’t Macabeet this Hanukkah feeling.
35. Let’s get Hanuk-krunk!
36. Oy to the world!
37. I love you a latke.
38. Wishing you a latke fun this Hanukkah.
39. Hope your Hanukkah is sweeter than sufganiyot.
40. Let it glow!
Heartfelt Hanukkah greetings
41. This Hanukkah, please know how much you light up my life.
42. This holiday, I’m hoping you experience the same blessings and brightness I do just by having you in my life.
43. Light can be found in even the darkest times, and I hope you will remember how you brighten my life every time you light the menorah.
44. Wishing you a bright Festival of Lights followed by a lifetime of light ahead.
45. May the glow of the menorah guide you through even the darkest of days.
46. As you light the menorah, may you remember—and experience—the fact that life is filled with bright, miraculous moments.
47. In celebration of Hanukkah, may you continue to spread light and hope wherever you go.
48. May the lights of Hanukkah shine all year long.
49. This Hanukkah, I hope you feel the same infectious love and light that I do just by being your friend.
50. Like the menorah, may your light never dull.
Looking for more messages to put in your card? You’ll find inspiration in these uplifting quotes.