107 Farewell Messages to Wish Co-Workers Well
It’s not easy to say goodbye! These farewell messages will help you find the right words for co-workers embarking on their next chapter.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
How do you write a memorable farewell message?
Co-workers can be like family: You support one another, attend functions together, share snacks and fight over the thermostat. Some weeks, you probably spend more time with them than with your actual family. So when a co-worker leaves, for any reason, it can be a big change for all of you. But unlike family, the etiquette rules are different when saying goodbye to a co-worker. You want to congratulate them, wish them luck and let them know you’ll miss them, but you have to keep it professional. A farewell message for a co-worker will also depend on your recipient, since your message and tone will be different for a boss, a direct report or a colleague on your level. There are also those times you won’t miss a co-worker … but again, have to keep it appropriate and cordial.
Why should you send a farewell message?
It doesn’t take a lot of words to convey a heartfelt, funny or meaningful farewell message, but it can mean a lot to the person who’s leaving. Simply taking the time to write a nice note can make their life a little brighter. And you never know: Your message just may be the boost your co-worker needs to start this new chapter of their life. Not to mention, it’s good office etiquette.
With a well-written farewell message, you can convey:
- How much you value their contributions
- Gratitude and thank-you messages
- The impact they’ve had on you and the team
- Your desire to maintain a positive professional relationship in the future
- Your support as they make this transition
- Your well wishes for the occasion (retirement, a promotion, taking a different job or being laid off)
There’s a lot of nuance, we know, which is why we’re here to help you find exactly the right thing to say. Here’s everything you need to send a farewell message to a co-worker.
Get Reader’s Digest’s Read Up newsletter for more etiquette tips, humor, cleaning, travel, tech and fun facts all week long.
Farewell messages to co-workers who are changing jobs
1. Here’s to you and your new role! Wishing you colder water, fresher coffee and tastier snacks in the break room.
2. I’m sad to see you go but excited for you to start your new adventure. Best of luck!
3. You can’t leave! Do you have any idea how long it will take us to train the new guy on all the inside jokes we have? (Seriously, though, best wishes on the new gig!)
4. Your creativity and innovative ideas really made you stand out here, and I have no doubt you’ll shine in your new job! Congrats, friend!
5. You’ve been a valuable member of the team, and you’ll be missed. Wishing you all the best in your new job.
6. You’ve been both a great co-worker and a great friend to me—I’ll always be grateful for you. Best of luck at your new place.
7. Your positive attitude and hard work have been an inspiration to us all. Your new team is lucky to have you.
8. When I heard you were leaving, I immediately wanted to tell you: Good luck finding better co-workers than us! (Just kidding! I hope you find another equally awesome group to work with.)
9. Congratulations on your new job! We’ll miss you, but we know you’ll do great things. Keep us posted!
10. It’s been such a pleasure working with you, and I hope we can stay in touch. See you on LinkedIn!
11. Your contributions to the team have been invaluable, and your legacy will live on in [insert program or department]. Best of luck in your new role.
12. I’ll miss a lot of things about you but mostly your great sense of humor. It won’t be as fun around here without you! Wishing you all the best in your new job.
13. May you have calm seas and steady winds as you embark on your next adventure.
14. Your hard work and dedication have made a big impact on the team. We’ll miss you!
15. I’m going to miss you around here! So … does that mean I get the good desk now??
16. Congratulations on your new job! We know you’re destined to do amazing things.
17. You’ve been an important part of the team, and we’ll miss you. Good luck in your new role!
18. It’s been an honor working with you, and I hope our professional paths cross again someday. Please stay in touch!
19. Your energy, wit, wisdom and enthusiasm will be missed around here. I hope your new job appreciates the amazing employee they are getting! (And if not, come back here!)
20. Congrats and best wishes starting this new chapter of your career!
21. The water cooler will be lonely without you! But don’t worry—I’ll keep you updated on all the good gossip.
22. Congratulations on your new opportunity! We’ll miss you, and we wish you all the best.
23. You’ve been a fantastic co-worker, and we’ll miss your positivity and energy. Good luck in your new role!
24. Your hard work and dedication have not gone unnoticed here, and we’re excited to see what you accomplish in your next role. We’re all so proud of you!
25. I won’t wish you good luck, and I hope your new boss hates you … so you can come back here!
Farewell messages to co-workers who are retiring
26. First, the good news: You’ll finally be your own boss! Now, the bad news: You’re the only employee.
27. Congratulations on your well-deserved retirement! You will be greatly missed.
28. May you have just as much fun spending your money as you did making it! (Actually, have more fun!)
29. It has been an honor working with you, and we wish you all the best in your retirement.
30. We thought about duct-taping you to your chair on your last day so you couldn’t leave us, but HR said no. I guess we’ll just have to figure out a way to move on without you.
31. You’ve made a lasting impact on our team, and we’re grateful for all you’ve done. Enjoy your retirement!
32. Congratulations on reaching this exciting milestone! We’ll miss you, but we’re all hoping to follow you at some point!
33. Big props on your retirement. I hope you enjoy every moment of it … which still includes playing pickleball with me!
34. You’ve left big shoes to fill, and we’ll miss your expertise and guidance. Wishing you a wonderful retirement!
35. We love everything you did for us, and we’re so excited for you to do everything you love—for you!
36. It’s been a pleasure working with you. Congratulations on your retirement!
37. If your second act is anything like your first, then you have a great life ahead of you, full of applause and encores.
38. I can’t believe this day has finally come! (After all, you’ve been talking about it for so long!) I’m excited to see all your big plans and dreams come true.
39. You were such a great co-worker that working with you never felt like work. We hope your retirement is just as fun!
40. Your contributions to the team will not be forgotten. Enjoy your well-deserved retirement.
41. Congrats on your big change, moving from early meetings to early-bird specials!
42. We’ll miss your positive attitude and team spirit around here. Congratulations and best wishes for a happy retirement!
43. We have one more big assignment for you: Send us a picture when you get to the beach. P.S. We will be evaluating your work, so don’t wear a Speedo.
44. Your professionalism and kindness have been appreciated by all. Wishing you a happy and healthy retirement.
45. Retirement or endless spring break? Your choice!
46. We’re sad to see you go, but we’re happy for you and your next chapter. Congratulations on your retirement!
47. Your leadership and guidance have been instrumental in our success. We’ll miss you, and we wish you all the best in your retirement.
48. It’s been an honor working with you. Congratulations on your retirement, and enjoy your well-deserved time off.
49. You have left an indelible mark on our team. Congratulations on your retirement, and all the best!
50. Thank you for your many years of hard work and dedication. Enjoy your retirement to the fullest!
Need something a little more personal or funnier for a close friend or family member? Check out these retirement wishes for all the other people in your life.
Farewell messages to co-workers who are moving
51. This is goodbye for now, but hopefully not forever. Safe travels, and good luck!
52. Best wishes getting settled into your new home and your new office. You choose which one to hang my picture in!
53. Wishing you all the best as you embark on your new adventure with your new job and your new home.
54. They say life is a journey, and I’m grateful we got to share a stop together along the way.
55. It’s been a pleasure having you as part of our community—your new place will be lucky to have you. Good luck with your move!
56. Congratulations on getting cleared to work from home and moving to a place with a lower cost of living!
57. You’ve been an important part of our lives, and we’ll miss you dearly. Safe travels, and good luck!
58. I have so many happy memories working here with you. I’m sad for me but excited for you to make fun memories with your new co-workers.
59. Best wishes on your move and your new career. We’re excited to see what the future holds for you.
60. Goodbyes are never easy, but I’m excited for you to have a fresh start. Best of luck with your move!
61. Your friendship and leadership have been gifts to us all. Wishing you all the best in your new home and job.
62. Best wishes for a smooth move and a bright future.
63. Your next adventure awaits! Hoping it’s as great as this one was!
64. We’ll miss your kindness and friendship, but we’re excited for you and your new chapter.
65. So … when have you scheduled your next visit to come back and say hi? (Too soon?)
66. Your positive attitude and spirit have been an inspiration to us all. Wishing you all the best with the new gig.
67. Your new life is waiting for you! May you greet it with open arms and an open heart.
68. It’s impossible to tell you how important you are to us, so we’ll just say (again) that we will miss you a ton and wish you all the best.
If a move is on the horizon, these new-home wishes will also come in handy—and mean so much.
Farewell messages to a boss
69. I’ve learned so much from working with you over the years, and I’ll miss your wisdom. Thanks for mentoring me!
70. Don’t forget to add us to your LinkedIn network. We need someone to endorse our karaoke skills. OK, and our spreadsheet skills too.
71. You’ve taken care of us for so many years, it’s great to see you taking care of yourself now. Best wishes as you write this next chapter.
72. You changed this company through your vision and dedication, and you won’t be forgotten. Wishing you all the best in your future endeavors.
73. Thank you for being such an incredible leader and mentor. You will be missed!
74. You’ve taught us so much, and we’re grateful for your guidance. Best wishes for a successful jump.
75. You’ve been an amazing boss, and we’re lucky to have worked with you. Best wishes for your future.
76. Thank you for always pushing me to be my best—I wouldn’t be where I am now without you. I’ll miss you!
77. You gave us all the tools we need to succeed and continue without you. (Not that we want to!)
78. Your passion and dedication to our team will always be remembered. Best wishes on your next adventure!
79. Not only are you an incredible boss—you’re also an amazing human. I’ll miss you dearly, but I know you’ll be successful at whatever you do next.
80. You’ve always put our team first, and while we’re grateful for your dedication, we’re glad to see you put yourself first now. Know that we’re cheering you on!
81. I’ve loved working for you—please keep in touch. I hope our professional paths cross again someday!
82. You made a big difference here, and your impact on our team will be felt for years to come.
83. Thank you for being an amazing boss and for inspiring us to be our best. You will be missed!
84. Your leadership has made a difference in our lives and our careers. Best of luck in your future endeavors.
85. Great … now who’s going to be our doughnut dealer? (Kidding! We love you for more than just the doughnuts.)
86. Thank you for being an amazing boss and for always leading by example. It has been a true pleasure working with you.
87. Good news: Now you get to do whatever you want! Bad news: Now you have to make your own coffee. Or is that good news?
88. Congrats to the best boss ever!
89. You’re leaving big shoes to fill, and I can’t imagine this place without you! Best of luck at your new gig.
Having a proper going-away party for your boss? Memorize one of these toasts for the occasion.
Farewell messages to an employee
90. You should feel incredibly proud of everything you’ve done here. Now, on to bigger and better things!
91. Feel free to come back and visit anytime—we’d all love to see you (especially if you bring treats).
92. Thank you for your hard work and dedication to our team. You will be missed!
93. You’ve been a joy to work with, and I’m grateful for the time we’ve spent together. Best of luck at the new job!
94. Your positive attitude and energy have been contagious. We’ll miss your presence on our team.
95. It won’t be the same around here without you! Wishing you good fortune and friends in your next endeavor.
96. Thank you for your professionalism and dedication to our company. You will be missed!
97. I hope your new job appreciates you as much as we did! Your attention to detail and commitment to quality have been truly exceptional.
98. From team meetings to trivia nights, your wit and wisdom will be missed. Thanks for all you did for the company.
99. Our office is stronger and happier because of you, and we’ll miss seeing you every day. Thank you, and best wishes for your future.
100. I know I was your boss, but I’ve learned so much from working with you, and I’ll miss our conversations. Best of luck!
101. Remember: The grass isn’t always greener on the other side … unless they have a better coffee machine.
102. They say everyone is replaceable, but they haven’t met you! We will miss you, and I still don’t know how we’re going to fill your shoes. Thanks for everything you did!
103. Thanks for always laughing at my jokes, even when they weren’t funny. You were a great employee and friend.
104. Your contributions to our company have been invaluable. We’re grateful for everything you’ve done and wish you all the best in your next chapter.
105. Congrats on your new gig, and know we are all cheering you on!
106. You’ve been a valued member of our team, and we’re sad to see you go. Wishing you all the best in your future endeavors.
107. You’ve been a great employee but an even better colleague. You will be dearly missed here.
Goodbye gifts that show you care
What screams “I will miss you!” in a work-appropriate way? These farewell gifts, of course! Some are serious, some are hilarious gag gifts—but they’re all thoughtful little somethings that will convey your happiness for your co-worker on their next move … and your sadness that they’re leaving.
- Lovepop Card: You have to put that farewell message to your co-worker somewhere. These 3D cards from Lovepop are just the place! They have a definite wow factor, as well as plenty of options, from retirement cards to more generic champagne bottles and pretty bouquets.
- “Work Will Really Succ Without You” Gift Box: A plant pun that will make them laugh and a little self-care all rolled into one? We’re in!
- “Smells Like It’s Not Really Your Problem Anymore” Candle: It’s true. Now it’s ours. (Sob!)
- “You Are Dead to Us” Frame: If you couldn’t tell, we love a funny farewell gift for co-workers, and when it’s personalized, it’s even better. This funny frame will ensure they remember all the good times—and all of you—no matter where they go.
- Greetabl Gift Box: Choose all the sweet treats they’ll love, along with a sweet sentiment, for this customized gift box filled with their favorites.
- Cheryl’s Cookies Celebration Gift Tower: You can never go wrong with cookies. Bonus points if you’re all in the office and you get to steal—er, share—your co-worker’s snacks one last time!