The 8 Best Luggage Sets of 2023 for Every Type of Traveler
When it comes to hitting the road or flying the friendly skies, one bag rarely does the trick. Smart travelers choose the best luggage sets specific to their needs and travel style.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
RD.COM, VIA MERCHANT (3)
Frequent travelers know that the right suitcase makes or breaks your travel experience. And just because you’ve found the right bag for one trip, doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll suffice on a different type of trip. Enter: the best luggage sets. These luggage deals come in an array of sizes from soft personal items to hardside check-ins to ensure you’re covered on weekend getaways and multi-week expeditions.
The best luggage sets are an ideal choice for couples and families who want to maintain a cohesive look with their travel gear. This strategy comes in especially handy when packing suitcases and trying to identify bags on the airport carousel. Most importantly, you’ll often find a cost savings on cheap luggage, too. Check out these travel luggage sets from the best luggage brands.
The best luggage sets
- Best overall: Calpak Starter Bundle
- Best value: Béis 3-Piece Check-In Roller Bundle
- Best build-your-own bundle: Away Mix and Match Suitcase Set
- Most durable: Monos Carry-On Set
- Best lightweight: Kenneth Cole Madison Square Chevron Set
- Best style: Vera Bradley Small & Large Spinner Set
- Best tech features: Wrangler Smart Luggage Set
- Most sustainable: Brandless Eco-Friendly Travel Bundle 2.0
Best overall luggage set
Calpak Starter Bundle
The best luggage sets do it all. This stylish Calpak set comes with everything you need for an easy travel experience: a carry-on bag, a larger bag to check, three packing cubes with breathable mesh, two pouches with drawstring closures (to store dirty clothes or shoes) and a luggage tag. The 360-degree spinner wheels make moving through airports and long hotel hallways a breeze, and the polycarbonate shell exterior holds up like a champ.
- Includes eight pieces to mix and match
- Comes with three packing cubes and two pouches for more storage
- Built-in TSA-approved lock and integrated USB charging port
- Expands an extra two inches
- Available in four color options
- The warranty is limited and only covers five years
Best value luggage set
Béis 3-Piece Check-In Roller Bundle
Chic luggage doesn’t have to break the bank. Béis is one of our favorite luggage brands because it’s functional, durable and affordable. The carry-on rollers are an all-time favorite for frequent travelers (ourselves included), and you’ll save 15% if you add the complete set to your cart. Add the 26-inch check-in roller, 29-inch check-in roller or both to create your two- or three-piece bundle.
- Get a discount when you bundle the roller luggage
- Choose from a two- or three-piece bundle
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty
- Includes pouch sets for valuables and dirty laundry
- TSA locks protect your belongings
- A built-in weight indicator prevents overweight fees
- Choose from nine different colors
- Might be too big for some overhead compartments
Best build-your-own luggage set
Away Mix and Match Suitcase Set
One of the best luggage brands, Away, doesn’t offer a traditional luggage set per se, but the brand does present something that many travelers feel is even better: a discount on mixing and matching suitcases to build their own customized set in a range of colors. Simply start with a carry-on. We love The Bigger Carry-On for four- to seven-day trips, and it still fits into the overhead bins of most major airlines. From there, add a Medium or Large suitcase and save $50 (or you can add a Medium and a Large and save $100).
No matter which beautiful bags you choose (we’re also smitten with the Away polycarbonate Flex), it’ll have 360-degree wheels, a TSA combination lock, a durable shell, interior compression and a laundry bag.
- Mix-and-match option allows you to create the exact set you need
- Choose from two- and three-piece sets
- Stylish and sleek design with updated features
- 100-day trial, free shipping and limited lifetime warranty
- Personalize your luggage with up to three letters in a variety of colors
- All suitcase handles rise to the same height
- Only some of the models are designed to expand (like this Large Flex)
Most durable luggage set
Monos Carry-On Set
Monos luggage is built on the idea that luggage is meant to last. The Monos Carry-On Set uses an aerospace-grade hard shell exterior to ensure it holds up from the car ride to the baggage claim. The carry-on in this hardside luggage set weighs just over seven pounds, but you can still add a portable luggage scale to make sure you don’t go over the weight limit.
The pieces in this affordable luggage set include a built-in compression pad, an anti-microbial laundry bag, two shoe bags and a vegan leather luggage tag. Read our review to learn more.
- Monos undergoes a rigorous testing process to ensure durability
- Choose from any size to build your bundle
- Made from sustainable materials
- TSA-approved combination lock
- Available in a variety of colors
- Lighter colors may get dirtier faster
Best lightweight luggage set
Kenneth Cole Madison Square Chevron Set
Fashion and function collide seamlessly in the best luggage sets and this Madison Square Chevron Set by Kenneth Cole is a prime example. The carry-on weighs a feather-light six and a half pounds, while the check-in comes in at just over 10 pounds.
The two-piece carry-on and checked luggage set also has a coveted feature that’ll come in handy whether you’re an over-packer or forget to factor in souvenirs on your travels: expandable panels. There are also 360-degree spinner wheels, divided compartments and a retractable trolley handle. There’ll even be space for your all-inclusive toiletry bag.
- Carry-on size weighs only six and a half pounds
- Simple two-piece set provides the necessary basics
- Both pieces are expandable to provide more space
- Divided compartments
- Tear-resistant interior lining handles all your travel essentials
- Chic design with gold zippers
- Lifetime limited warranty
- 2,200 Amazon ratings and a 4.3-star average
- Set is only available in black or rose gold
Best stylish luggage set
Vera Bradley Small & Large Spinner Set
Pretty paisleys, soft florals and bold nature scenes—these are the types of luggage designs that’ll leave other travelers a little jealous of your superb style (and wondering why their bags are so boring). Vera Bradley is no stranger to cute designs, so the wow factor of this small and large spinner set is hardly a surprise.
Inside you’ll find compartments and pockets, and a practical zip-out lining that can be washed. It’s one of the best luggage sets, period. The fun pattern is just a bonus!
- Multicolor pattern makes it easy to spot in baggage claim
- USB port attached to lock
- Small spinner is carry-on compliant
- TSA-friendly locks add security to your belongings
- Lots of internal storage for packing and souvenirs
- Lining zips out for easy cleaning
- Patterned luggage isn’t for everyone, but there is a black option
Best tech features
Wrangler Smart Luggage Set
Your phone is smart, your TV is smart, your car is smart and, now, you can have smart luggage with the Wrangler Smart Luggage Set. Available in two- and three-piece sets, you’ll have space for everything. And we do mean everything.
Carrying too many things and you’ve run out of room for your much-needed cup of joe as you race through the world’s busiest airport? Does your phone need a quick charge? Use the patented three-in-one cup holder to hold your device, charge it and cradle your coffee (though, not all at once). Looking for even more external carrying space? Add this travel luggage holder.
- Smart features, like a USB port and phone holder, make travel a breeze
- Multi-directional spinning wheels
- Available in three sizes
- Expands for extra packing capacity
- Plenty of internal storage
- Three-piece set is available in five colors
- 9,700 Amazon ratings and a 4.4-star average
- Smart feature doesn’t hold everything at once
Most sustainable luggage set
Brandless Eco-Friendly Travel Bundle 2.0
If you’re looking for versatile luggage and a way to be a more sustainable traveler, look no further than the Eco-Friendly Travel Bundle 2.0 from Brandless. The bundle includes two checked luggage pieces, a foldable backpack, four packing cubes and a travel pouch. Some components, like the lining, are made from recycled plastic bottles, keeping them out of landfills—making Brandless one of the best luggage sets.
According to one happy customer, the set is “very lightweight, easy to maneuver and the compartments inside help with organizing and the zipper is nice and durable.”
- Eco-friendly parts are made from recycled plastic bottles
- A full eight pieces to fit your travel needs
- Includes packing cubes and a travel pouch
- Scratch-resistant exteriors handle tough conditions
- Divided interior compartments
- Only available in black
What to consider when buying the best luggage sets
When selecting the best luggage sets for your traveling needs, always prioritize functionality. Are you the type of traveler who has mastered the fine art of packing only carry-on bags? Then don’t buy a set that includes a larger check-in bag, as it may just sit around collecting dust. Do you like to have smaller pockets on the exterior of your bag to store travel documents and other easy-to-grab items? Then choose a soft-sided bag, as hard shell luggage won’t have that feature. You might even be surprised to learn that while it seems like hardsides are all the rage, most pilots only travel with soft-sided luggage.
The next item of business is to fixate on other practical features, like smooth-rolling wheels, durability at the seams and a sturdy handle that feels comfortable to your grip and hits at the right height. Finally, if you don’t rely on packing cubes—one of the brilliant buys travel pros never leave home without—then choose a bag that has some internal pockets and compartments for better organization. And, of course, the bag should spark at least a little joy design-wise. Travel is supposed to be fun, right?
How we found the best luggage sets
As shopping experts, our only job is to help you find a winning product. We start with the research and reporting basics—what products are made of, what they look like and how much they cost—to ensure that we’re only recommending the buys that are worth your time and money. Then, we research the features that speak to the product’s quality, taking advice from industry insiders and subject matter experts on what makes a product a smart value (or worthy of a splurge). Finally, we do the work of combing through user reviews to see how real people interact with the product, and if it stands up to the test.
What are the benefits of luggage sets?
Buying a luggage set is often a more affordable option than shopping for pieces separately. When you buy a set, each piece is often designed to work in conjunction with the others so you can maximize space. Plus, you can’t go wrong with a cohesive look. Whether it’s for you or a gift for a traveler, a two- to five-piece luggage set is an amazing investment.
How many pieces should a luggage set have?
The best luggage sets often have three pieces, which offers a nice amount of versatility and can usually accommodate a couple. But sometimes two-piece options are really all you need, so don’t overlook those paired down options until you’ve really assessed your travel habits. Other sets including matching carry-on bags, toiletry bags, packing cubes and other bonus accessories make travels easier.
Is hard- or soft-sided luggage better?
There are benefits to both. Soft luggage provides more flexibility and exterior pockets, but fabric can be susceptible to stains and rips. Hard luggage provides more protection, but the rigid exterior can reduce wiggle room. However, with the right set, you’ll be able to hit everything on your packing list.
Stop hunting for the best products and deals—get our expert scoop on secret sales and discounts, gift ideas for everyone and can’t-miss products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.