This Is the Most Mosquito-Infested City in America
Mosquitos are an annoying summer bug, but for this West Coast city, they're a huge problem.
It’s not summertime if you aren’t spritzing mosquito repellent when stepping outside, especially at night. In addition to causing annoying itching, mosquito bites can transfer viruses and diseases. Some cities have to deal with this issue year-round and not just during the summer months. The place with the most serious infestation? Well, for the first time in years, it isn’t Atlanta, Georgia.
What’s the most mosquito-infested city in America?
According to Orkin, Los Angeles, California is now the most mosquito-infested city in America. The brand came to this conclusion after looking at how many mosquito customers it served in metro areas between April 1, 2021 and March 31, 2022. According to Orkin, these are the top 10 mosquito-infested cities in America:
- Los Angeles, California
- Chicago, Illinois
- New York, New York
- Washington, D.C.
- Atlanta, Georgia
- Dallas, Texas
- Detroit, Michigan
- San Francisco, California
- Miami, Florida
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Eleven new worst cities for mosquitoes made the top 50 list this year: Columbus, Ohio; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Sacramento, California; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Champaign, Illinois; Portland, Oregon; Greensboro, North Carolina; Louisville, Kentucky; Myrtle Beach, South Carolina; Hartford, Connecticut; and Waco, Texas.
Terminix, one of the largest pest control companies in the world, releases a similar report. While they have yet to release 2022 data, the company looked at 2020 internet search trends to determine the top cities in the United States most interested in finding out more about mosquitoes. Los Angeles ranked No. 11 on that list, while Bakersfield, California, took the top spot. While the lifespan of mosquitoes may not be all that long, dealing with them can still be a nuisance.
How to avoid mosquitoes
Even if you don’t live in one of the top mosquito-infested cities in America, you’ll come in contact with mosquitoes. However, there are things you can do to limit your exposure to them.
- Stay away from areas that could serve as breeding ground for mosquitos. These areas include:
- Standing water (think wading pools, pets’ water bowls, etc.)
- Dark, humid areas around your home
- The gutters—there could be moist debris in them
- Drain any areas that have standing water
- Install screens in your windows and doors to reduce the chance of mosquitoes entering your home
- Keep mosquito-repellent plants in your backyard
- Stay indoors when you can. If you are outdoors, try to wear long-sleeved shirts and pants and keep the bug spray handy.
Next, read up on how you can get rid of household pests without using chemicals.