How To Pack Jewelry So It Stays Tangle-Free While Traveling
Packing accessories should be the least stressful part of a trip. Here's a quick step-by-step guide on how to pack jewelry for travel.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
When packing for a trip, the goal is for everything to arrive as nicely as you organized it—no tangles, knots or scuffs. But jewelry is one of the most common offenders when it comes to finding a disorganized mess upon arrival. From DIY methods with common house supplies to jewelry organizers that match your aesthetic, here’s how to pack jewelry for travel to make sure all your accessories get first-class treatment.
Tips on how to pack jewelry for travel
The best way to prevent tangled jewelry is to prepare for the journey as much as possible. Investing in organizers like travel jewelry cases in advance will ensure that pieces make it through TSA without damage. Organization and protection are key, whether it’s affordable jewelry or your grandmother’s heirlooms.
Knots belong in Boy Scouts—not your jewelry box! When delicate chains become tangled, there’s a higher chance of tarnishing and damage. Some jewelry can become so knotted, it’s nearly impossible to untangle.
Prevent a trip to the jeweler with an organizer or roll—we like this jewelry roll—that keeps strands separated and safe in luggage. Common items like pill boxes are also a good option to keep earrings or rings separate from longer chains. Learning how to pack jewelry for travel is easy once you master the art of organization.
How to Pack Jewelry For Travel
- Travel jewelry box
- Pill box
- Jewelry roll organizer
- Jewelry pouch
- Household supplies like plastic wrap, straws or foam
- Decide which pieces to bring. Lessen the chance of tangling by being strategic and intentional with your choices. Repurpose different pieces with different outfits. Be wise about packing expensive or sentimental jewelry that could be on a burglar’s hit list.
- Invest in a jewelry organizer. A compartmentalized box or jewelry roll provides peace of mind during turbulent plane rides or bumpy road trips. Some organizers have space for different jewelry types, while others are better suited for rings, necklaces, bracelets or other specific pieces.
- Time to organize! Make sure each piece has a designated little home. Smaller items might fit better in a pill box, and jewelry rolls are a better option for longer necklaces or dainty bracelets. A roll allows you to lay necklaces flat or into a loop so they don’t move around and tangle during travel.
- Use house supplies for added protection. Place chains between two sheets of plastic wrap or through straws. Secure earrings through foam pieces to keep everything in one place.
- Pack with care—the last thing you want is to discover a thief has the same taste in jewelry as you do! Adopt some packing best practices and place organizers in unassuming places instead of outside pockets or at the top of your luggage. It may even be helpful to tuck them away with undergarments!
How do you transport jewelry when traveling?
Don’t put gems somewhere obvious, like on the outside pocket of a backpack or in a clear toiletry bag. Keep jewelry in a separate bag away from liquids, makeup and perfumes. It’s also a good idea to keep them in your personal item or carry-on luggage for added peace of mind.
How do you travel with expensive jewelry?
Packing expensive jewelry can quickly become a liability. If you still want to flash your bling on a trip, find a creative jewelry box that doesn’t draw attention. This one from Amazon looks more like a macaroon cookie than a place to store an engagement ring. It might also be a good idea to pack a diamond cleaner in case your gems need a refresh while you’re on the road.
What jewelry sets off metal detectors?
Ever held up a TSA line because you forgot to take off a watch or a necklace? Be prepared before you fly. Most gold, sterling silver or platinum jewelry won’t set off a metal detector, but pieces made from magnetic materials will.
Stop hunting for the best products and deals—get our expert scoop on secret sales and discounts, gift ideas for everyone, and can’t-miss products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.