100 Horror Movie Trivia Questions to Test Your Scary Flick IQ
Scary movie buffs, this one's for you. See how many horror movie trivia questions you can answer correctly about slashers, monsters and other things that go bump in the night.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
Do you like scary movies? And no, we’re not asking so we can torment you in epic slasher fashion, a la Ghostface in Scream. We’re asking because we have a killer set of horror movie trivia questions that stump seasoned horror fans—and we challenge you to take a stab at answering them.
Some of the most influential and best movies ever made are within the horror genre, and believe it or not, scary movies have made our blood pump and adrenaline rush since the late 19th century. The horror genre has expanded immensely since, spawning eerie thriller flicks, heart-pounding slasher films, mesmerizing vampire movies, spooky Halloween movies and much, much more. There are plenty of scares to go around—and tons of movie trivia to learn! Test your existing knowledge (and learn something new along the way) with these horror movie trivia questions—with the lights on, of course.
Get Reader’s Digest’s Read Up newsletter for entertainment, humor, cleaning, travel, tech and fun facts all week long.
Horror movie trivia questions
RD.com, Getty Images
1. Question: What is widely considered to be the first horror movie made?
Answer: The House of the Devil, made in 1898
2. Question: What is the name of Neve Campbell’s character in Scream?
Answer: Sidney Prescott
3. Question: In Jeepers Creepers, the Creeper rises every how many years to feed?
Answer: 23 years
4. Question: What is the name of the summer camp where Friday the 13th takes place?
Answer: Camp Crystal Lake
5. Question: What kind of allergy does Charlie have in Hereditary?
Answer: A nut allergy
6. Question: What is the name of the possessed young girl in The Exorcist?
7. Question: In which state does The Blair Witch Project take place?
8. Question: Who plays Pennywise in 2017’s It?
Answer: Bill Skarsgård
9. Question: In The Ring, how long do people have to live after watching the video tape?
Answer: 7 days
10. Question: Who plays Chucky’s love interest, Tiffany, in Bride of Chucky?
Answer: Jennifer Tilly
11. Question: Who directed acclaimed horror movies Get Out and Us?
Answer: Jordan Peele
12. Question: What year was the first Saw movie released?
13. Question: What is the name of the man Dr. Caligari controls in The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari?
14. Question: Which horror movie stars Jennifer Love Hewitt, Freddie Prinze Jr., Sarah Michelle Gellar and Ryan Phillippe?
Answer: I Know What You Did Last Summer
15. Question: In which city does Rosemary’s Baby take place?
Answer: New York City
16. Question: There are two serial killers at the center of Silence of the Lambs. What are their names?
Answer: Buffalo Bill and Hannibal Lecter
17. Question: In Halloween, Michael Myers, as a child, kills his teenage sister. What was her name?
18. Question: Which author of scary books holds the record for the most book-to-movie adaptations in the horror genre?
Answer: Stephen King
19. Question: What title is Dani crowned in Midsommar?
Answer: May Queen
RD.com, Getty Images
20. Question: Passengers must survive what kind of outbreak in Train to Busan?
Answer: A zombie outbreak
21. Question: What is the name of the hotel Jack Torrance is hired to care for in The Shining?
Answer: The Overlook Hotel
22. Question: Who plays Freddy Krueger in A Nightmare on Elm Street?
Answer: Robert Englund
23. Question: What is the real name of “The Black Bride” in Insidious: Chapter 2?
Answer: Parker Crane
24. Question: What year was the original The Texas Chainsaw Massacre released?
25. Question: Who plays Norman Bates in 1960’s Psycho?
Answer: Anthony Perkins
Don’t forget to add these funny scary movies to your streaming list for healthy doses of goosebumps and chuckles.
26. Question: 1922’s Nosferatu is an unofficial adaptation of which vampire book?
Answer: Dracula by Bram Stoker
27. Question: Which city were Alex and his classmates flying to when he had a disturbing premonition on the plane in Final Destination?
28. Question: Who directed 1963’s The Birds?
Answer: Alfred Hitchcock
29. Question: The Witch (one of the best witch movies to come out in recent years) takes place in what year?
30. Question: What is the name of the killer in the Saw franchise?
31. Question: Which horror movie isn’t based on a book: Frankenstein, Bird Box, Interview with the Vampire or A Quiet Place?
Answer: A Quiet Place
32. Question: What is the name of the spacecraft the crew is aboard in Alien?
Answer: The Nostromo
33. Question: In which city does 1992’s Candyman take place?
34. Question: Which actor appears in all these horror movies: The Purge, Sinister and The Black Phone?
Answer: Ethan Hawke
35. Question: How many killers are there in The Strangers?
36. Question: Who played Carrie in 1976’s Carrie?
Answer: Sissy Spacek
37. Question: Where does Noa meet Steve in Fresh?
Answer: The grocery store
38. Question: What is the name of the pop-up book Samuel asks Amelia to read to him in The Babadook?
Answer: Mister Babadook
39. Question: What year was Let the Right One In released?
RD.com, Getty Images
40. Question: Which actor and actress play Ed and Lorraine Warren in The Conjuring universe?
Answer: Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga
41. Question: The Losers Club reunites after how many years in It Chapter Two?
Answer: 27 years
42. Question: What is used to suppress the evil leprechaun’s powers in Leprechaun?
Answer: A four-leaf clover
43. Question: Which two slashers faced off against one another in a movie released in 2003?
Answer: Freddy Krueger and Jason Voorhees
44. Question: In Insidious and Insidious: Chapter 2, it’s discovered that both Josh and his son, Dalton, have the ability to do what?
Answer: Astral project
45. Question: What is the name of the child at the center of The Omen?
46. Question: In M3GAN, what exactly is M3GAN?
Answer: An artificially intelligent doll
47. Question: Who directed the 2007 remake of Halloween?
Answer: Rob Zombie
48. Question: Which sci-fi horror movie stars Mel Gibson and Joaquin Phoenix?
49. Question: In which state does 1968’s Night of the Living Dead take place?
50. Question: Who played Frankenstein’s monster in Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein and Son of Frankenstein?
Answer: Boris Karloff
Fun fact: Frankenstein wasn’t the only green character Boris Karloff played; he voiced the Grinch in the 1966 Christmas cartoon How the Grinch Stole Christmas and also narrated it.
More horror movie trivia games
Two things horror movie enthusiasts need: strong stomachs and impressive stashes of horror movie trivia games. Game night’s about to get scary good.
51. Question: In The Purge, how long does the annual Purge last?
Answer: 12 hours
52. Question: What is the name of the killer in the Scream franchise?
53. Question: When was the first Paranormal Activity movie released?
54. Question: How did Dr. Génessier’s daughter, Christiane, become disfigured in Eyes Without a Face?
Answer: She was involved in a car accident.
55. Question: What brand of doll is Chucky in the Child’s Play franchise?
Answer: A Good Guy doll
56. Question: What is the highest-grossing horror movie of all time?
57. Question: 1985’s The Fly (a remake of the original) won an Oscar for what?
Answer: Best Makeup
58. Question: What 2016 movie centers on an entity that can only be seen when the lights are off?
Answer: Lights Out
59. Question: What town does Jaws take place in?
Answer: Amity Island
RD.com, Getty Images
60. Question: In Halloween, Michael Myers’s mask is actually a mask of which actor?
Answer: William Shatner
61. Question: In Host, a group of friends accidentally summon a supernatural force by doing what over Zoom?
Answer: Holding a séance
62. Question: Who directed the original version of The Hills Have Eyes?
Answer: Wes Craven
63. Question: What is the name of Jodie Foster’s character in The Silence of the Lambs?
Answer: Clarice Starling
64. Question: Which two horror movie franchises were first video game series?
Answer: Silent Hill and Resident Evil
65. Question: Carol Anne interacts with spirits through which household electronic in Poltergeist?
Answer: A television
66. Question: Which actress stars in 2020’s The Invisible Man?
Answer: Elisabeth Moss
67. Question: What was the first horror movie to win the Best Picture Oscar?
Answer: The Silence of the Lambs
68. Question: Which horror movie isn’t based on a Stephen King book: Misery, 1922, Gerald’s Game or Creep?
69. Question: Which horror movie has the most sequels?
Answer: Friday the 13th
70. Question: Which Marvel universe actor starred in 2011’s The Cabin in the Woods?
Answer: Chris Hemsworth
71. Question: How many people were Ghostface in the first Scream movie?
72. Question: What year was The Blob released?
73. Question: In which country does The Nun take place?
74. Question: Which actor made his film debut in A Nightmare on Elm Street?
Answer: Johnny Depp
75. Question: What is the name of the virus that infects humanity in 28 Days Later?
Want to test your holiday knowledge after completing this horror movie trivia quiz? See how many Halloween trivia questions you can answer correctly.
76. Question: Who played Count Dracula in 1931’s Dracula?
Answer: Bela Lugosi
77. Question: In Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers, audiences finally got an explanation as to why Michael Myers couldn’t be killed. What was it?
Answer: He was made immortal by a Druid curse.
78. Question: What is the name of the town in Nebraska where Children of the Corn takes place?
79. Question: Which movie wasn’t directed by James Wan: Saw, The Conjuring, Dead Silence or M3GAN?
RD.com, Getty Images
80. Question: What year was It Follows released?
81. Question: What kind of mask does Jason Voorhees wear?
Answer: A hockey mask
82. Question: What is the name of the killer who possesses the doll that becomes Chucky in Child’s Play?
Answer: Charles Lee Ray
83. Question: How does the Abbott family communicate with one another in A Quiet Place?
Answer: They use American Sign Language
84. Question: What line is written over and over in Jack’s manuscript in The Shining?
Answer: “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.”
85. Question: Who played George Lutz in the 2005 remake of The Amityville Horror?
Answer: Ryan Reynolds
86. Question: Which actor wasn’t in Interview with the Vampire: Brad Pitt, Antonio Banderas, Kiefer Sutherland or Tom Cruise?
Answer: Kiefer Sutherland
87. Question: What is the name of the boy Becky and Cal try to help in In the Tall Grass?
88. Question: What color clothes do the doppelgängers in Us wear?
89. Question: Which 2021 horror movie is a sequel to the 1992 movie of the same name?
90. Question: What is the name of the demon who possesses Regan in The Exorcist?
91. Question: What was Halloween originally going to be called?
Answer: The Babysitter Murders
92. Question: What do Carrie’s classmates dump on her at prom in Carrie?
Answer: Pig’s blood
93. Question: The rental house Tess books in Barbarian is in which Detroit neighborhood?
94. Question: 1981’s Evil Dead tells the story of a group of college friends who must survive against supernatural forces while in a remote cabin. Which college do they attend?
Answer: Michigan State University
95. Question: Which two colors make up Freddy Krueger’s striped sweater?
Answer: Red and green
96. Question: How many Hellraiser movies are in the franchise?
97. Question: In 1942’s Cat People, Irena is concerned she’ll turn into what if she becomes physical with her husband?
Answer: A panther
98. Question: Who directed Poltergeist?
Answer: Tobe Hooper
99. Question: Where does The Thing take place?
100. Question: What mother-daughter pair separately starred in these two horror movies: Psycho and Halloween: H20?
Answer: Janet Leigh and Jamie Lee Curtis
So, how did you do with the horror movie trivia? Would Michael Myers be impressed by your knowledge? Yeah, we wouldn’t want to know either. Keep the trivia train going by answering these general (but tricky) trivia questions—good luck!