The 14 Best Air Mattresses That Are Actually Comfortable
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
Get the best sleep you've ever had on an air mattress (yes, really!)
Whether you have overnight guests, your kids want to have a sleepover with their friends, or you’ve just moved into a new place and are waiting for your furniture to arrive, an air mattress can come in handy. The best air mattress is comfortable, easy to inflate and super-convenient because it provides you with the extra sleeping space you need in a pinch. Plus, when you aren’t using it, you can easily store it away in a closet.
Air mattresses aren’t just good for indoor use, though: They are amazing for traveling, too. If you plan to go camping and don’t have one as part of your camping gear, or if you’re embarking on a road trip soon, make sure you have an air mattress for your trip.
But as with buying a mattress of any sort, selecting the best air mattress can be challenging. After all, you don’t want one that spontaneously deflates in the middle of the night. Our carefully curated list has all the best options, whether you’re looking for an outdoor or indoor air mattress, a non-toxic mattress or the best mattress for a specific kind of sleeper.
How to find the best air mattress
When you’re shopping, make sure to consider these key features:
- Pump type: Air mattresses use one of three different style pumps: manual, battery-operated and outlet plug-in. While most air mattresses come with a pump (either attached to the mattress or one to insert), there are some that don’t, so you’ll need to buy it separately.
- Inflation time: Air mattresses all inflate at different rates, but most should only take a few minutes to do so.
- Mattress height: Mattresses 18 inches high or taller are typically more comfortable to sleep on. However, ones that are lower to the ground are easier to roll up and carry wherever you’re going.
- Air chambers: Air mattresses with vertical air chambers or coils are more supportive because they are able to help distribute weight better. Those with air beams that run horizontally tend to sag more when under a lot of weight.
- Flocked fabric: This suede/velveteen-like material shows covers the bottom of some air mattresses to prevent slipping, and the top to keep your sheets in place as well as make it more comfortable (so you don’t feel like you’re sleeping on plastic).
Best air mattresses for everyday use
SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattress
If you’re searching for the best mattress to have on hand for guests, look no further than the SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattress. This bed in a box, which comes in twin, twin XL, full, queen and king, is a host’s dream, going from flat to fully inflated—a “double height” of 19 inches—in just three minutes, thanks to its built-in pump.
It’s got a nearly 4.5-star average rating from over 47,000 reviews on Amazon because it checks all the boxes. Our Digital Deputy Editor tested this mattress and said that even her 200-pound husband was comfortable sleeping on it, and that it kept its shape and firmness through the night. It also deflates quickly and packs up easily for storage, which is key when you’re entertaining.
- Waterproof flocked top and non-slip bottom
- Eco-friendly PVC
- Internal pump
- At 20 pounds, it’s heavy
Beautyrest Hi-Loft Inflatable Mattress
One of the best tips for overnights guests is, no surprise, to have a comfortable place for them to lay their head at night. If you’re looking for an inflatable bed you can pull out at moment’s notice, this is the best air mattress for everyday use to purchase. The Beautyrest Hi-Loft mattress has a velveteen sleep surface so your best bed sheets will stay in place.
And because it has vertical beam construction, it’s able to hold up to 700 pounds, so multiple people can use it with no problems for days at a time. The air mattress also comes with a nylon carrying bag to store it away in, and an electric pump for quick inflation times.
- 15-inch height
- Comes with an electric pump
- Length might be a little short for very tall users
King Koil Luxury Air Mattress
If you’re tall, you know that finding an inflatable bed that fits your height can be difficult and make it hard to sleep on vacay. Travel sleep tip that’s just as important as finding the right travel pillow? Pick the best air mattress for extra length. Not only is King Koil’s air mattress lengthy (it comes in a California King size), it has flocked material to prevent slipping, coils for comfort and a built-in pump that inflates it in two and a half minutes.
- Top flocking layer and built-in pillow
- Internal pump inflates quickly
- Comes in 20-inch height and extra length
- Because of its increased size, it takes up more floor space
Most affordable air mattress
Intex Dura-Beam Pillow Rest Air Mattress
With over 6,000 reviews and a 4.4-star rating on Amazon, this Intex inflatable bed easily takes the title of most affordable air mattress. It cost just below $35 for a twin (up to just $39 for a queen) and includes a velvet-soft sleeping surface. It’s also great because it has Fiber-Tech inner construction for support throughout the night, and a built-in pillow rest so you don’t fall off the end. All you need is an outlet to inflate it with its high-powered internal electric pump.
- Can’t beat the price
- Built-in pillow rest
- Warranty is only 90 days
Most comfortable air mattresses
Lazery Sleep Air Mattress
This mattress from Lazery Sleep proves that sleeping on an air mattress can be comfortable! While it’s on the pricey side, it’s worth it because it’s 19 inches thick and has a built-in air pump, flocked top, and remote to choose between seven difference firmness levels ranging from soft plush to extra firm. Its pump even shuts off automatically so you never have to be afraid about accidentally over-inflating it. Add some cooling bed sheets, and you’ll be all set.
- Remote with wide range of firmness adjustments
- Built-in electric pump
- 40 vertical coils
- Some users say the pump is noisy
Insta-Bed Raised Air Mattress with NeverFlat Pump
Sleeping on an air mattress that’s always sagging is the worst. However, you won’t have that experience with this 18-inch inflatable bed from Insta-Bed because it has a two-pump system to prevent sagging. The first pump has an automatic shut-off and is used to inflate and deflate it, while the second pump is quiet and stays on throughout the night, automatically adjusting the air pressure if it senses any drop in mattress pressure. The flocking finish makes it feel even more bed-like. Pair it with the best pillows and you’re off to dreamland.
- Auto-adjusting pump keeps bed inflated throughout the night
- 35 circular coils
- Some users say the “silent” second pump makes a little bit of noise
Ivation EZ-Bed Air Mattress with Frame
Believe it or not, air mattresses can come with built-in-frames to improve comfort. So how does it work? The Ivation EZ-Bed air mattress automatically unfolds while the bed is inflating with its built-in pump (which takes less than four minutes), so no tools are required. If you’re searching for the best air mattress for older guests or a good mattress for back pain sufferers, you’ll appreciate that this one is elevated 24 inches off the ground to emulate a real bed and make getting on and off much easier.
- Frame automatically unfolds as mattress inflates with built-in pump
- Zips into attached rolling case for easy transport or storage
Best travel air mattresses
WEY&FLY SUV Air Mattress
Want to sleep under the stars without being on the ground? If so, you’ll need a SUV air mattress to go in your car. This one adjusts to fit in the back space of your vehicle and, with cold resistance down to -25 degrees, will keep you warm if the temperature drops at night. It also features independent air chambers and breathable flocking fabric for added comfort.
- Fits in your tailgate with four separate inflatable chambers to adjust to your space
- Comes with an air pump to attach to your vehicle’s power adapter
- Thinner than a regular air mattress
Hiccapop Inflatable Toddler Travel Bed
Younger children need a safe, secure and kid-sized air mattress when traveling. That’s why we recommend this convenient toddler travel bed the next time you hit the road. It has a compact air pump included, and inflatable bumpers for safety not just on the sides but the head and foot as well (so active sleepers won’t roll off). Plus, the inner mattress, which you can tuck your child’s favorite sheets around, comes out for easy mattress cleaning.
- BPA-, phthalate- and lead-free
- Inflates in 30 seconds
- Lifetime guarantee
- Although customer service replaces mattress quickly, some users did report getting holes
FBSport Bed Car Mattress
Looking for a great gift for travel lovers? This backseat air mattress provides an alternative to tailgate sleeping. It fits in the majority of vehicles to use up all the space in the backseat for a cozy and comfy sleeping spot, and includes two inflatable pillows, a pump and a storage bag.
- Extends backseat sleeping space
- Can also fit in a tailgate
- Likely won’t work if you have captain chairs in the second row
Best air mattresses for camping
EnerPlex Air Mattress
You’ll be able to set up the sleeping arrangements in your tent in record time with this amazingly fast inflatable EnerPlex air mattress. The twin size takes under two minutes to inflate and has an easy-to-use, built-in pump—just turn the dial to inflate. You’ll also be able to stay dry from any moisture on the ground thanks to its waterproof PVC material and Never Leak Technology, which is puncture resistant. Plus, because it has soil-beam technology, you won’t ever feel like you’re sleeping on the ground. Find yourself a free camping spot and enjoy!
- Available in three mattress heights from 13 to 18 inches
- Non-skid bottom
- Quick inflation
- Requires a portable battery pack or car outlet adapter to inflate if no power outlet is available at your campsite
Coleman EasyStay 4-N-1 Airbed
This durable, indoor/outdoor bed from Coleman is the best air mattress for camping, ideal for a couple or family who wants to see the most scenic campsites in every state. With two twin-size air mattresses that can be attached side by side to create a king size bed or stacked for additional comfort, it’s a versatile choice. And even though it’s large, putting it away is easy thanks to its wrap ‘n’ roll storage system that enables you to roll the mattresses into the attached bag once they’re fully deflated. Just make sure you purchase a pump because this one doesn’t come with it.
- Coil construction
- Airtight system with double-lock valve to prevent leaks
- Pump not included
Coleman Camping Cot Air Mattress
If your dream camping situation does not include you directly sleeping on the ground, consider a camping cot air mattress. This one comes in both twin and queen sizes and has a battery powered pump and sewn-on cover, so you’ll feel like you’re sleeping in your regular bed while you’re stargazing at night. The best part? It also includes a removable side table. A perfect gift for the camper in your life (or yourself)!
- Mattress slides into zippered sheet attached to cot
- Easy to set up/take down
- Stores easily
- Because of the steel frame, it’s heavier than a regular air mattress
Therm-a-Rest Sleeping Pad
When it comes to hiking, a sleeping pad is almost as important as having a quality backpack. With a design that alternates between thermal foam and air, this insulated Therm-a-Rest air mattress will keep you toasty even during chilly camping nights. It also comes with a pump sack that makes inflating quick and easy—and since the regular size only weighs 15 ounces, it won’t be much added weight to carry around.
- Lightweight and insulating
- Included pump sack for easy inflation
- WingLock valve prevents leaks
- Thinner than a normal air mattress
Stop hunting for the best products and deals—get our expert scoop on secret sales and discounts, gift ideas for everyone and can’t-miss products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.