Best Winter Clearance Sales on Apparel to Cozy Up to This Year
New year, new look! Stock up on high-quality basics and trendy accents with up to 70% off Columbia, L. L. Bean and Cozy Earth.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
As Sales Editor of Reader’s Digest, I have my finger on the pulse of seasonal deals, and right now is the best time to take advantage of apparel sales. Retailers are working to bring in new spring styles like rain jackets in time for March. They’re clearing out the remainder of their summer and fall finds and getting a head start on offloading winter scarves.
January is the perfect time to clear your closet of outdated sweaters taking up precious hanger space and replace them with new, better-quality finds. If your New Year’s resolution is to Marie Kondo your style, you’re in luck. Whether you’re looking for a new pair of fleece-lined leggings or heated gloves, these winter clearance apparel deals have you covered with savings up to 70%.
The best winter clearance apparel deals
- Amazon: Home to tons of brands (and some of the best leggings), Amazon’s apparel deals from the New Year Sale cover everything from wool socks to winter boots and feature discounts of up to 60% off.
- Columbia: The coat retailer’s winter sale includes up to 40% off select gear. Peruse the list of finds for some surprises. I found a few items hidden in the sale that are marked down more than 50%!
- Cozy Earth: During the New Year’s sale, save up to 30% sitewide on pajamas, loungewear and ultra-soft bedding.
- For Days: Score zero-waste, 100% recyclable fashion at up to 70% off during For Days’ sitewide New Year’s sale through January 10.
- Gobi Cashmere: Save up to 70% on incredibly soft knits during Gobi Cashmere’s holiday sale.
- Hanna Andersson: Through January 11, score 60% off plus an extra 20% on incredibly comfortable pajamas during the Big Hanna Sale.
- L.L. Bean: Up to 50% in savings is waiting for you at L.L. Bean during the winter sale. Save on men’s winter coats and tons of other items before they sell out!
- Maisonette: Enjoy whimsical styles at up to 60% off during Maisonette’s New Year Sale.
- Spanx: Shop sale items from Oprah’s favorite shapewear retailer.
- Target: Fill up your cart during the clearance run for huge discounts on everything from winter coats to dresses.
- Zappos: Shop the winter clearance sale for huge discounts on footwear, apparel and accessories. Save on brands like Steve Madden, Adidas and Free People among tons of others.
Our top picks
Hanes women’s fleece zip hoodie
Just in time for gym-related New Year’s resolutions, this pink performance hoodie is made of cool comfort fabric. A cozy fleece exterior pairs with warm socks to provide enough coverage for a winter jog while wicking moisture. Thumbholes give extra hand coverage and a dash of style. Score one for 60% off—bringing the price of this hoodie to only $15.99!
Columbia women’s turbodown jacket
At an incredible 57% markdown, this insulated winter jacket delivers waterproof protection and lightweight insulation. The long fit looks stylish and retains heat for maximum protection from the elements. A twill outer shell and removable faux fur hood give this jacket a luxe look and feel best paired with trendy winter boots.
Cozy Earth custom pajamas
We love Cozy Earth pajamas—they’re well worth the price thanks to their luxe look and bamboo fabric. During the New Year’s sale, build a set of editor-approved custom pajamas for up to 30% off, and experience the butter-soft, cooling loungewear for yourself!
You can’t go wrong with a pair of classic sweatpants. This gender-neutral staple comes in three different shades of super-soft terry fabric, all available for $50 off. Stock up for workouts or add to your loungewear set collection—these mid-weight joggers deliver comfort and performance.
Hanna Andersson unisex pajama set
Consistently making our list of the best comfy pajamas and well-known for their matching family pajama sets, Hanna Andersson is running the Big Hanna Sale full of steep markdowns. The pajamas are crafted with hand-me-down quality in mind, so they endure endless machine washes. Score a set of their short johns at a discount of 30%.
L.L. Bean scoopneck tanksuit
Winter sales are the best time to get the best swimwear for every body type at low prices. For a savings of $20, scoop up this scoopneck tanksuit in either black or ocean jade to prepare for vacations just a few short months away. The Italian fabric provides stretch and quick-drying power, and it’s UPF 50 for enhanced sun protection.
Maisonette blue Avery cardigan
Best known for its children’s clothing, Maisonette offers adult styles that marry current styles with whimsical details. Get the vintage-inspired Avery cardigan for 50% off in a denim blue shade with a peter pan collar. Throw this sweater over your favorite classic dresses for a feminine touch.
Spanx jean-ish ankle leggings
Forget real jeans—slip on these stretchy ankle leggings from one of our favorite shapewear stores. With a soft knit and interior shaping panel, these flattering leggings keep you smooth and comfortable all day. Pick up a pair for running errands or work-from-home for $30 off the original price.
Oversized quilted bomber jacket
Get this oversized bomber jacket just in time to fight the winter chill for under $30. This jacket is available in a range of colors and extended sizes and is made from 100% cotton. It’s flattering and machine washable—a go-to for running errands now. Add it to your spring jacket rotation thanks to the lightweight insulation.
Natori plush sherpa robe
Known for its huge selection of footwear, Zappos is also a good place to score deep discounts on apparel. Cuddle up in this plush sherpa robe from Natori while it’s on sale for 45% off in the amethyst hue. The full length keeps legs cozy and warm, while the pockets are deep enough for a phone—this may have to make our list of the best bathrobes!
Stop hunting for the best products and deals—get our expert scoop on secret sales and discounts, gift ideas for everyone and can’t-miss products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.